Los Angles: A mother in the US state of California has been sentenced to 26-years-to-life in prison on for microwaving her one-month-old daughter to death.
Ka Yang was sentenced on Friday by a California judge who imposed the 26-years-to-life sentence on the 34-year-old mom.
Yang put her infant Mirabelle Thao-Lo in the microwave for nearly five minutes back in March 2011 and was convicted of both first-degree murder and assault, according to KCRA-TV.
Yang, a resident of Sacramento, had pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Mirabelle suffered burns to 80 per cent of her body — some deep enough to damage her internal organs. She was discovered burned from head-to-toe, but her hair and clothes were not singed.
“It was probably the worst case I’ve ever seen,” Sacramento County coroner’s office told the Sacramento Bee.
The baby girl’s pacifier was discovered in the microwave.
An affidavit states that Yang told police she blacked out while holding the infant and the baby fell next to a space heater, according to an affidavit.
Her attorney claims she had an epileptic seizure during the 11 minutes she spent alone with the baby.
Yang does have a history of seizures, but was not determined to be disorientated by paramedics, the affidavit said.
“I never thought that with my seizure I will lose my little girl,” Yang told KOVR-TV.
When confronted about the inconsistencies in her story, Yang said she lied and may have a split personality, the affidavit read.
Yang is married and has three other children under the ages of 10 who are being cared for by relatives.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
TCS’ OptumeraTM Wins AIconics Award for Best Application of AI in the Enterprise
Honda 2Wheelers India signs pact with NSDC to propel Skill India Mission
Sands Macao Fashion Week Kicks Off With Gala Launch Event Featuring Emporio Armani
TCS wins CII Award for Best Patents Portfolio
GJEPC presents 2nd India Diamond Week with 120 international buyers from 29 countries
2014 The Global Indian New Network (TGINN)