| Networking Indians & Overseas Indians | News, Business, Heritage, Culture, Tradition, Networking |



Meghalaya flood and landslide: Death toll rises to 55

news

Shillong (Sept 30, 2014): With the recovery of three more bodies, the death toll due to flash flood and landslide in Meghalaya has risen to 55, state Chief Secretary P Barkos O Warjri said on Tuesday.

"The death toll due to flash flood and landslides in Meghalaya has risen to 55 after more dead bodies were recovered yesterday in the Garo Hills region," Warjri said.

The recovery of the bodies was made after water receded in several places in the plains in West Garo Hills and North Garo Hills region, he said, adding that there could be more people who have actually died in the rising flood waters.

District officials and the police are trying to verify the identities of the bodies recovered, he said.

Meanwhile, Chief Minister Mukul Sangma today appealed to citizens to donate generously to the Chief Minister's Relief Fund aimed at rebuilding the lives of those affected by flood and landslide.

"We need generous contributions from all those who care to extend a helping hand. Your little contributions can make a difference," the Chief Minister said in a public appeal today.

Deputy Chief Minister Roytre C Laloo had said that properties including road, houses, livestock and agriculture worth about Rs 2,000 crore were damaged in the calamity.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi had announced Rs 2 lakh compensation to the next of kin of those who died in the flash flood and landslide in the state and Rs 50,000 to those who were grievously injured.

Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh and Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju will be taking an aerial survey of the affected plains tomorrow to assess the extent of the damage caused by cloudbursts last week.