Save the Earth, It’s the only Planet that makes Films!’
- More than 200 films to be showcased in PIFF 2017 in 13 screens at 7 venues
- 2nd Edition of PIFF Bazaar to bring together film lovers and film fraternity together
Pune, December 16: The most awaited and highly respected Film Festival of the year, Pune International Film Festival (PIFF) is all set to enter in its 15th successful year with its new theme ‘Environment’. Loaded with workshops, seminars, panel discussions and more than 200 films to showcase, this year PIFF will be held between January 12th and 19th, 2017. This acclaimed festival is being organised jointly byPune Film Foundation and the Government of Maharashtra. An announcement to this effect was made today during a Press Conference held in the city by Dr.Jabbar Patel, veteran Film Maker, Chairman and Director, PIFF.
The chosen theme ‘Environment’ for this edition was also unveiled during this conference. Prof. Samar Nakhate-Vice chairman, Mr.Ravi Gupta – Secretary, Pune Film Foundation, and Trustees – Dr. Mohan Agashe, Mr.Vittha lManiar, Mr. Satish Alekar and Mr. Makrand Sathe were also present at the Press Conference.
PIFF 2017 will be showcased in 13 screens 7 venues located in Pune and Pimpri-Chinchwad. The venues include City Pride Kothrud, City Pride Satara Road, City Pride R-Deccan, Mangala Multiplex, Inox Bund Garden Road, National Film Archives of India (NFAI) and at PCMC.
Speaking on the occasion, Dr.Jabbar Patel said, “This year PIFF will be based on the theme of ‘Save the Earth, It’s the only Planet that makes Films!’. Through Films and Entertainment, PIFF wishes to raise global awareness to take positive environmental action for protecting nature and the planet Earth”
After the grand success of last year, the Film Festival shall have the much-praised ‘PIFF Bazaar’ spread across 10,000 sq.ft. this year.Being a one-stop platform for thousands of patrons, this year it will have more than 30 stalls for Movie Lovers, Film Personalities and connoisseurs of Film Arts. As an upcoming brand, ‘PIFF Bazaar’ will host interesting activities like Open forums, Panel Discussions and Entertainment Programs by experts and partners from across the film and entertainment industry.
“Owing to the prodigious national and international exposure that PIFF award winners have received, year after year, competition section at PIFF is immensely popular, attracting over 1,000 entries from 95 countries.” added Dr. Patel.
The sections of PIFF 2017include
- Theme Section -Environment
- Social Awareness
- Films based on Gracia Lorca Literature
- Spanish Dance Forms in Films
- Awardees Films
- Jury Films
- World Competition
- Marathi Competition
- Volkswagen International student competition
- Global Cinema
- Asian Cinema
- Latin American Films
- Country Focus
- Indian Cinema Today
- Marathi Cinema Today
- Gems from NFAI
- Films from Films Division
PIFF is the only Film Festival in the country which has Satelite Film Festivals happening in other cities of the states. So far along with Pune it used to happen in Pimpri Chinchwad, Mumbai and Aurangabad. This year, 2 more cities are getting added including Solapur and Nagpur. All cities put together about 250 films will be showcased this year.
The online registration for delegates will be available at www.piffindia.comfrom today that is December 16th onwards. Interested delegates can fill the form online and get an acknowledgement number for reference. Once the online registration is complete, they can visit registration desks at the venues mentioned above. Spot registrations at City Pride Kothrud, City Pride Satara Road, INOX Bund Garden Road and Mangala Shivajinagar from 11.00am to 6.30pm, will commence from December 29th.
For students and Film Club members (with valid ID) and senior citizens (over 60 years), the Delegate Fee is at a discounted rate of Rs.600/- where as for open category it is Rs.800/-. Apart from cash, the registration fee can also be paid by using Credit / Debit cards at all the registration counters.
PIFF 2017 – List of Awards in Competition Section
- World Cinema
- Government of Maharashtra “Prabhat” Best International Film – Rs. 10 lakhs
- Government of Maharashtra “Prabhat” Best International Film Director – Rs. 5 Lakhs
- Marathi Cinema
- Government of Maharashtra “Sant Tukaram” Best International Marathi Film – Rs. 5 Lakhs
- AkhilBhartiya Marathi ChitrapatMahamandal – Best Film Director – Rs. 25 Thousand
- AkhilBhartiya Marathi ChitrapatMahamandal – Best Film Actor – Rs. 25 Thousand
- AkhilBhartiya Marathi ChitrapatMahamandal – Best Screenplay – Rs. 25 Thousand
- AkhilBhartiya Marathi ChitrapatMahamandal – Best cinematographer – Rs. 25 Thousand
- PIFF Special Award to Student of the final year (Direction) from Film & Television Institute of India (FTII) instituted by Ms. Maria Prochazáková – Rs. 25 Thousand
- Volkswagen International Student Films Competition – Live action (Short Film)
- Best Film – US$1000
- Best director – US$ 500
- Best Screenplay – US$ 500
- Best Cinematographer – US$ 500
- Best Audiographer – US$ 500
- Volkswagen International Student Films Competition – Animation action (Short Film)
- Best Animation Film (India) – US$ 1000
- Best Animation Film (International) – US$ 1000