AZ Research Partners Private Limited, one of the leading market research players in South East Asia conducted a comprehensive survey to study current trends in FM Radio Listenership across the country. Parameters for study included listenership, frequency, mediums, drivers and motivators, preferences and recall amongst others. Some of the key findings are included below.
· Representation: According to the study, respondents were asked about the radio station they thought represented the essence of their city best. Radio City topped the charts in Bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi and Pune while Suryan FM came out in front in Chennai and Radio Mirchi in Hyderabad. The cultural essence of the city was measured using parameters like local flavor, local preferences with locally popular activations and programs.
· Consumption patterns: With regards to the place and medium of radio consumption, the study found that a whopping 76% of consumers accessed FM Radio through their mobile phones while an average of 22.5% of them listened to the radio while driving. Another 36% used the radio at home. With mobile phone penetration growing in rural India, radio as a medium of mass communication is now reaching the remotest corners of the country via the mobile phone.
· Listener Preferences: The study identified a set of drivers that motivated listeners to listen to one particular type of radio channel. These motivators were centered on four parameters including the image of the radio station, the kind of programs it aired, the kind of music it played and the Radio Jockey who hosted these activations. It is seen that while 100% of respondents considered good music as a motivator, only 50% felt the image of the station and RJs impacted their listening patterns. A whopping 83% of respondents thought that the quality of programs aired highly impacted their frequency of listening on a particular station.
· Listenership: In terms of listenership, the study concluded that Radio City topped the list with a listenership of 5.2 crore followed by Radio Mirchi and Big FM with 4 crore and 2.6 crore respectively.
· Most popular Radio Jockeys: Based on overall recall and approval ratings, popularity of Radio Jockeys are ranked as below:
Love Guru – Radio City
Bharghav – Radio Mirchi
Chaitu – Red FM
Sayema – Radio Mirchi
Annu Kapoor – Big FM
Rashmi – Big FM
Didha – Red FM
SHakthi – Radio City
Munna – Radio City
Archana – Radio City
Salil – Radio City
Jeetury – Radio Mirchi
Shonali – Radio City
Bandya– Radio City
Filmy Chokri RJ Aparna – Radio City
The survey was conducted among a sizable portion of the population across 23 cities including male and female participating above the age of 12. The report documents factors like most popular radio channel based on listenership, drivers for listening behaviour and preferences, perception of these channels among listeners, top-of-the-mind recall of channel names, programs, jingles and names of radio jockeys (RJ). Additionally, it also compares radio listenership against other mass mediums of communication like print and television. It covers 23 cities including Jaipur, Nagpur, Bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi, Bareilly, Varanasi, Gorakhpur, Agra, Pune, Ranchi, Chennai, Hyderabad, Coimbatore, Vizag, Surat, Vadodara, Ahmedabad, Hisar, Jalandhar, Karnal, Lucknow and Ahmednagar with over 7000 respondents across cities.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
Sign me up for the newsletter!
Notify me of follow-up comments by email.
Notify me of new posts by email.
Wienerberger Announces Investment of INR 30 Crore in its Factory in Kunigal
New Tourism Foundation to Launch “New India: New Ladakh”
India’s largest kitchen appliance company TTK Prestige unveils 2020 plans
HDU Healthcare offers ICU Setup at home and a one-stop solution for all home healthcare services
CBSE Regional Science Exhibition concludes with huge response at Global Indian International School
2014 The Global Indian New Network (TGINN)