By: Dr. Neeraj Adkar Director, SaiShree Hospital for Special Surgery, Joint Replacement Expert
Nowadays, Arthritis is spreading fast in society due to various reasons. There are more than 100 types of arthritis. According to Ayurveda, Arthritis symptoms are Inflammation, swelling & pain in the joints. The human body has about 200 different joints. Basic task of the joints is to facilitate body movements. Due to arthritis body gets rigid or obstinate & there is restriction of the movement in the affected joints. Pain occurring in any of these joints and any hindrance to the body movement is termed as “arthritis”.
Pain and stiffness in any joint of the body are the early symptoms of arthritis. In later stages, there is difficulty in the physical movement of joints and there may also be deformities. For treating early-stage hip arthritis, analgesics, intra-articular injections and physiotherapy are recommended by doctors. In advanced stages, the most successful treatment is a total hip replacement.
Rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, Gout arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Secondary (Secondary to trauma, lack of blood supply, infection) are most commonly seen in types of hip arthritis.
1) Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) –
In this type, multiple joints are involved and it can occur or present at any age typically person gets early morning stiffness, joints are painful and the pain goes down as day progresses. In this type, blood parameters like RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) Anti CCP which are positive. This is more commonly seen in females. It is an autoimmune disorder where a person’s immune system works against his/ her joint capsule/ synovium.
Prevention: When your rheumatoid arthritis flares up, it’s important to prevent damage to your joints. With the help of Specific medication under supervision treatment of RA and control or check progress of the sickness needs to monitor ailments. Disease-modifying anti rheumatoid drugs (DMARD) and other medication for rheumatoid arthritis should be taken under rheumatologist / under doctor’s guidance.
2) Osteoarthritis (OA) – Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis affecting millions of people worldwide. Although commonly seen in knee joints but it also seen hip joints. Hip joints less routinely found in Indian populace. In each & every human bone covered with the special layer cartilage which is responsible for smooth & frictionless of the movement as a result cartilage gets damaged and bone gets expose and it starts rubbing against each other and bone gets damaged & leads to pain. RA can present at any age but OA mostly has seen in an elderly population.
FAI (Femoral Acetabular Impingement) can occur at an early stage. If it gets neglected by a person then it leads to e Osteoarthritis
3) Gout Arthritis: It is mainly seen in middle age & elderly population. In this type blood level of serum uric acid is raised. Although joints around swelling around the ankle, foot, and knee or joints regions are involved. In gout arthritis very rarely hip joints & S-I joints are involved.
Prevention of Gout Arthritis: Person should take of diet, protein less diet and purinless diet. Patient should take recommended diet from doctors. Gout patient should avoid Beer, Liquor, Liver, Kidney, Shellfish, Yeast Extracts, Sea Foods, Pulses, Tomatoes, Cauliflower, Spinach, Mushrooms, Smoking, High-fat dairy products, High Sweet Fruits like Watermelon, Custard Apple, Kiwi, Refined Carbohydrates, Complex Carbohydrates etc.
4) Psoriatic arthritis: Majorly this arthritis is seen in the middle & elderly age population. Most of the time those who are having Psoriasis and it leads to inflammation of the joints and it usually seen in knee & ankle but rarely seen in hip joints. Patients detected with Psoriasis should keep a constant track of their ailment and take the required treatment for the same from a dermatologist.
5) Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS): Spondyloarthritis is a type of arthritis that attacks the spine, in some people; it affects the joints of the arms and legs. In this type HLA – B 27 type of blood test often found positive. Over the years all the joints in the body they become stiff.
Prevention: Early detection & proper treatment is most important. Physiotherapy is extremely important in this type of arthritis. The person should take medicines under the guidance of the doctor as well as Exercise, particularly stretching and weight-bearing activities helpful for patient.
6) Secondary arthritis: It is called secondary arthritis, since arthritis in the hip joints is secondary to trauma/accident, secondary to AVN (Avascular necrosis) or infection. Out of this AVN is most common & this can be seen in the young & middle-aged population. In this type of arthritis blood supply of femoral head gets cut-off due to the cell death which occurs in the femoral head. It leads to deformation of the femoral head, leading to stiffness or restricted movements in the hip joints OA which leads to arthritis of hip joints. In the Advance treatment of hip joints, which is hip replacement, the damaged portion of the femoral head and acetabular cup is replaced with the metal or ceramic/ polyethylene components. These surgeries have long lasting benefits & patient can enjoy quality life.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
Sign me up for the newsletter!
Notify me of follow-up comments by email.
Notify me of new posts by email.
“India needs at least 1000 qualified actuaries in the near future”, IRDAI Chairman
Savills India Bags Certification by Great Place to Work®
ETO Motors enables Clean, efficient first and the last mile Connectivity to passengers using Delhi Metro
IESA’s Vision Summit 2020 #VS2020 to focus on Intelligent Electronics as a key enabler to $5Tn economy
Music industry leaders join hands for a national water movement
2014 The Global Indian New Network (TGINN)