New Delhi: Despite a request from the National Security Guard (NSG) that it should be relieved from VVIP security duties, the Centre has turned down the request saying it is not withdrawing the mobile security cover provided to 15 dignitaries by the elite commandos.
Considered one of the best anti-terror units in Asia, NSG, a 100 per cent deputationist force, for long has been demanding that the force should concentrate on counter-terrorism rather than providing security to VVIPs.
In a written reply in the Lok Sabha on Tuesday, MoS, Home, Hari Bhai Parathibhai Chaudhary said, “At present, this ministry does not propose to withdraw NSG security cover for the present 15 protectees.”
He further, said that other Central armed police forces have been deployed to provide security to many VIPs. “The NSG has requested that it may be relieved of VIP security duties to concentrate on its primary role of counter terrorism, hostage rescue and counter hijack,” HariBhai said.
Mostly Z plus protectees are given cover by the elite commandos of the NSG which throws a security ring of 36 personnel for each protectee.
In a separate written reply, MoS, Home, Kiren Rijiju clarified that there was no shortage of manpower and equipment for the NSG.
He said the government had last year approved the beefing up of each of the regional NSG hubs in Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai and Hyderabad from 241 to 460 personnel. He said 192 paramilitary personnel have been selected for various positions in the NSG on deputation basis, while 564 personnel of Army and paramilitary are presently undergoing conversion course for induction into the NSG.