Mumbai: Bombay House, the Tata group’s headquarters in Mumbai, is the first and only heritage building in India to be awarded the prestigious ‘Platinum Rating’ by the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC), under their EB (Existing Building) rating system.
Built in 1923, Bombay House was designed by the British architect George Wittet, who also designed the Gateway of India, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya (formerly known as the Prince of Wales Museum) and the Institute of Science.
Bombay House has been given this rating for continuously implementing measurable strategies and solutions in five categories: site & facility management, water efficiency, energy efficiency, health & comfort and innovation.
Some of the sustainable practices being followed by Bombay House are:
· Energy Savings: As compared to the Specific Energy Consumption (SEC) on base year in 2010, the energy performance in the building has improved by more than 35%.
· Reduction in water consumption: The building is equipped with smart retrofits like waterless urinals, smart metering, measurement and verification which have reduced the consumption of municipal corporation supplied water by 35%.
· Use of renewable energy: In order to promote the use of renewable energy, the building has an off-site grid tied solar photovoltaic (PV) installation of 87.5 kwP, thereby producing 1,43,718 kwh (electrical units – estimated) annually.
· Waste Management: Bombay House follows a stringent segregated waste management policy leading to best practices in solid waste management.
· Conservation of resources: A green policy has been introduced to promote the conservation of resources. Also, a continuous measurement and verification system has led to savings in electricity, water and other resources.
The project was implemented with the support of occupants of the building, The Associated Building Company Limited (ABCL), a Tata group company, responsible for the building, and Ecofirst Services, the sustainability arm of Tata Consulting Engineers Limited, which works in the area of building retro commissioning and facilitation.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
Sign me up for the newsletter!
Notify me of follow-up comments by email.
Notify me of new posts by email.
Millennials are more credit-conscious than other consumers; actively work towards improving their credit scores: TransUnion CIBIL study
What You Must Do with a Positive Hepatitis C Test
Activists March in Delhi for Animal justice and Vegan Awareness
Annual Mercedes-Benz Classic Car Rally (MBCCR) 2019: Celebrates 25 Years of Mercedes-Benz in India
ETIHAD AVIATION GROUP APPOINTS NEW SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT GLOBAL SALES AND DISTRIBUTION
2014 The Global Indian New Network (TGINN)