Washington: The deadly American attack on a hospital in northern Afghanistan occurred despite “rigorous” US military procedures designed to avoid such mistakes, the top commander of US and allied forces in Afghanistan said today.
Gen John F Campbell also told a Senate committee that he thinks President Barack Obama should revise the current plan to reduce the US force in Afghanistan at the end of 2016.
The plan calls for cutting the force from 9,800 to about 1,000 embassy-based security.
Campbell said he had provided his superiors with several options because conditions in Afghanistan have significantly changed since Obama approved that troop-cut plan in 2014.
Testifying three days after the medical clinic strike that killed at least 22 people, Campbell said Afghan forces requested air support Saturday while engaged in combat with Taliban fighters in the city of Kunduz, communicating with US special operations troops at the scene.
Those US forces were in contact with the AC-130 gunship that fired on the medical clinic run by Doctors Without Borders, he added.
“To be clear, the decision to provide (airstrikes) was a US decision, made within the US chain of command,” Campbell said. “The hospital was mistakenly struck. We would never intentionally target a protected medical facility.”
In his appearance before the Senate Armed Services Committee, Campbell said he could not provide more details about what happened, including who may have failed to follow procedures for avoiding attacks on hospitals.
He said he must await the outcome of multiple investigations. Campbell had disclosed yesterday that the attack had been requested by Afghan troops.
Anti-war protesters sat in the front row of Tuesday’s hearing with red coloring, depicting blood, on their faces.
They carried signs that read: “Healthcare not warfare,” and “Kunduz victims: RIP.” A woman who shouted “Bombing hospitals is a war crime! Stop the bombing now!” was escorted from the room. The chairman, Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, warned that those interfering with the hearing risked arrest.
On troop levels, Campbell said the ability to train Afghan forces and conduct counterterrorism operations would be restricted if the number of US troops were to drop to 1,000 by the end of next year.
“If you go to just embassy only, our ability to do TAA (train, advise and assist) is very limited. Our ability to do CT (counterterror operations) is much more limited,” Campbell said.
He said the different options that he has provided to his superiors are for troop levels beyond a normal embassy presence. Asked if he thought the president should review his plan, Campbell said “Yes, sir.”
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
Copyright © 2014 - 2021 The Global Indian New Network (TGINN)
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously.
Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features.
Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.
Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.
Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads.
Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet.